Tom's Thoughts

Movies are my thing. I've researched, studied and enjoyed movies for 40 years, and now I am ready to write books. My first book will be about Oklahoma movie theaters, with an emphasis on personal stories. If you have a story please email it to me.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma, United States

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The great silent film comedians

Most critics always put Charles Chaplin as the #1 silent comedian, but I always listed Buster Keaton as the greatest silent comedian. And also besides Harold Lloyd and Harry Langdon I would like to add Stan Laurel who I think is more creative than Chaplin. With Laurel you just see how funny his gag is and with Chaplin you can see how his gag was constructed and you can see the genious in his gag.

4 Comments:

Blogger audrey said...

Hi Tom,

I just wanted to tell you that I did enjoy the Harold Lloyd film that I saw with you and Elaine. Of course I have been exposed to Charlie`s films through the years. However,I was not impressed with the genre until you exposed me to Harold. I don`t watch much T.V. but, I confess to watching bits and pieces of silent films now. I do enjoy them. I am glad you took a chance on a cynical person like me. My life has been enriched.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Tom Leek said...

Hi Audrey,
It makes me feel good that I can find another person who can enjoy the beauty and majesty of silent movies which aren't really silent. When they filmed movies in the presound days they would have musicians on the set playing and they would score the movie and send the music sheets with the films. The big movie palaces would have an orchestra and the neighborhood theaters would have maybe a piano or an organ.

9:25 PM  
Blogger audrey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:03 AM  
Blogger audrey said...

What an art form.
Don`t get me wrong. I love the movies of today. I just feel like we have lost so much. Of course, we have gained much as well. So I guess it is not a loss/gain situation at all. Instead, it is more like a swap.
Everything is so casual today. It leaves me with a feeling of there not being anything special left in the world for non-movie-star-types like us. I like the fact that I can throw on some sweats and flip-flops to go to the movies. But, wouldn`t it be nice if we still got really dressed-up to go? Not just for a ordinary date, but an important date - an event. You know, like they used to do back in the good ol' days when individuals (seemingly) still possessed class and style.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home