Tom's Thoughts

Movies are my thing. I've researched, studied and enjoyed movies for 40 years, and now I am ready to write books. My first book will be about Oklahoma movie theaters, with an emphasis on personal stories. If you have a story please email it to me.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma, United States

Friday, September 15, 2006

The Shoe Incident

Have you ever gone to Catholic school back in the day when nuns were the teachers? Well, I did, and what you might have heard about it is probably no myth. I only went to Catholic school in first grade, and that was enough.
When you attend a Catholic school, you have to go to church about 3 times a day. One particular day, as we were leaving church, this taller girl behind me lost her lunch all over the back of my shirt. That was one of the worst things ever. I had to spend the rest of the day in my undershirt. And speaking of lunch, you didn't get to choose what you ate. They served you everything. Brussel sprouts and all.
Another incident happened during recess. I was the last one to get back into the classroom. The door was locked and I didn't know what to do. I was only 6 or 7, so I was doing my best. At that age I wasn't too logical. Since I couldn't get in the door, I decided to just walk home. When I got in front of the school, I saw everybody looking out the window at me. So what would an illogical kid do? I hid behind a fire hydrant. That wasn't a good place to hide as I'm sure you know, and my teacher, whose name I think was Sister Hellonwheels, came out of the school and across the street and found my hiding place. Sister Hellonwheels grabbed my ear and dragged me through 4 classrooms before we got to mine. That hurts, being dragged by your ear.
And now the shoe incident. Do you remember penny loafers? I pestered my mom for a long time until she broke down and bought me a pair. Soon after, my mom went on a trip with my grandparents to Canada, and I was left in the care of my dad. Wearing my new shoes to school, I felt really cool.
Sitting in class wearing my new penny loafers, I was just slipping my shoes on and off. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but it must have been to Sister Hellonwheels. It was a nice early spring day and we still had some snow on the ground. She took my shoes from me and didn't give them back. At the end of the day I had to walk home sock-footed in the snow. My dad was a wonderful man, but he didn't think he should confront the school over this incident.
When my mom got back from Canada, the caca hit the fan. The next day my mom, with me in tow, went up to school and gave the principal heck. I finished my school year out, but I was enrolled in public school that fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home