Tom's Thoughts

Movies are my thing. I've researched, studied and enjoyed movies for 40 years, and now I am ready to write books. My first book will be about Oklahoma movie theaters, with an emphasis on personal stories. If you have a story please email it to me.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma, United States

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Movie detectives

I love movie detectives and old mystery movies. Right now I am watching Mr. Wong, Detective (1938) with Boris Karloff starring as James Lee Wong. As the movie started a businessman wanted to hire Wong as a investigator. Of course he got killed before his appointment with Wong and that is how this movie begins. I believe his secretary was a plant with the bad guys and I was right! That's amazing that I guessed that. Mr. Wong is very similar to Charley Chan who was on the screen from 1930 until 1946 I believe. Mr. Wong's series lasted from 1938 until 1941 I think. Other series such as The Thin Man went from 1934 until 1941 but there only 4 movies I think.
Mysteries are great to watch. They ultimately start out with a murder and sometimes a burglary where someone gets killed during the theft. One 0f my favorites is a silent haunted house move The Cat and the Canary (1927) released by Universal Pictures. This was the first ones using an old house as the back drop. This movie was remade in 1939 with Bob Hope and also a couple more remakes. The Universal horror entries such as Frankenstein and the Mummy are great along with the rest of the series using the same character's. If you want a fun and relaxing night you should watch some old mysteries and detective movies. They have all the cliches that you probably heard about.

3 Comments:

Blogger trekkietech said...

Just for the information of those reading this blog, The Thin Man series of movies has six episodes. I told Tom that, and mind you he knows a lot more about such things than I do, but I was right this time!! It's a miracle!!!

8:57 AM  
Blogger audrey said...

Do you guys remember "The Ghost and Mr.Chicken" with Don Knotts? Yep, IMBD states that it was made in 1966! Way before I was born. What a classic spoof.

6:55 AM  
Blogger audrey said...

And don`t forget about "The Private Eyes" (1981). Maybe not an old classic but definetly a classic! You can read some movie quotes here : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081376/quotes

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home